View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 04:39 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 5762
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Definitely too much value to Calgary. D'Agostini and a 1st for Stajan + Sarich? That's fairly pointless for the Blues. I get that people were trying to balance what they perceived as imbalance in the Cole + Rattie for Giordano idea, but there is literally no reason from the Blues' perspective to balance like that. Add a 5th round pick if necessary, not a whole weird 1st + D'Ags for Stajan + Sarich addition. When you trade to get younger you add younger talent. Giordano > Cole, obvs, but they're both roster players and the difference is a high end prospect. Not a high end prospect AND a first, that is utterly ridiculous.

The alternative proposal to Cole + Rattie would be Cole + 1st for Giordano. Calgary's pick. Either load up on 1st rounders to help the rebuild or pluck a prospect who's been dominant for two years since his draft and has a proven chemistry with one of Calgary's prized prospects. Either Cole/1st or Cole/Rattie is fine by me, but Blues fans value Rattie VERY highly.
I agree with everything you said. The original deal they asked was Cole, Rattie, 1st. I thought if they added a center it might even it out a little bit. It would give St. Louis a first pairing d to play with Pietrangelo and a center to move Steen back to the wing. The reason I added D'agostini and Sarich is nothing more than throw ins. D'agostini is worth more than Sarich but he has to be traded. He just doesn't fit this team and I think he needs to be moved somewhere where he can play.

Like I said, it is probably too much value, but I look at it as St. Louis gaining 2 roster spots they need and some depth on D and only losing 1 roster player (Cole). I know D'agostini should be considered one but he just isn't playing, and really shouldn't be playing. If we gain Stajan or Backlund, it puts him even further back on the depth chart. He's too good to sit in the press box every night though.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote