View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 04:59 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I agree with everything you said. The original deal they asked was Cole, Rattie, 1st. I thought if they added a center it might even it out a little bit. It would give St. Louis a first pairing d to play with Pietrangelo and a center to move Steen back to the wing. The reason I added D'agostini and Sarich is nothing more than throw ins. D'agostini is worth more than Sarich but he has to be traded. He just doesn't fit this team and I think he needs to be moved somewhere where he can play.

Like I said, it is probably too much value, but I look at it as St. Louis gaining 2 roster spots they need and some depth on D and only losing 1 roster player (Cole). I know D'agostini should be considered one but he just isn't playing, and really shouldn't be playing. If we gain Stajan or Backlund, it puts him even further back on the depth chart. He's too good to sit in the press box every night though.
It was just that when they asked for Cole + Rattie + 1st for Giordano that they were getting way too greedy. Just because we have an agenda on defense that could be addressed by acquiring Giordano it doesn't mean we'd pay anything for it. We'd pay a solid return which is solid roster player (at same position) + strong future value. In this case a 1st in this great draft OR Rattie really fits exactly that bill. Calgary could say, hey, we got a stud prospect in return for a minor downgrade. That downgrade has some room to grow but is definitely an NHL-quality player.

If they didn't want Cole (he'd be the logical return roster player) they could swap out for Russell instead. Also young, though Cole's style is more analagous to Giordano's than is Russell's (smaller PMD, off to a bad start this year but one of the few bright spots against the Kings in the playoffs last year and a solid part of the 11-12 Blues).

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote