View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 06:44 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He's not untouchable, but he is worth a lot to us and very little to everyone else in the league. He has high potential but low trade value. Guys like that don't get traded. You'd have a hard time convincing me that any rental short of Perry is worth giving up Merrill.
That's what teams who are rebuilding are looking for... unknown potential with a very high ceilling. If Calgary does move Iginla, for example, they know fully well that they aren't going to get a player of that quality in return. They'll target a package that will add depth at several key positions.

With Calgary's current situation, they need help almost everywhere. Something like Josefson, Merrill and a 1st might get it done. Prospects are just that, prospects. Do you remember when we thought we landed the 2nd coming of Bobby Holik in Patrice Cormier and when we moved him, we weren't all that please to lose a stud 3rd line center that can play the body and add offense at the same time. Where is he know?

Just saying that someone can turn it up at the lower levels but when they turn pro, it's a entire ballgame. Everyone in the league has that "elite" talent, cause that's why they made the NHL, but not everyone can elevate their game a extra notch and that's why we shouldn't bank on kids turning into #1's unless there's a glaring sign... ala Adam Larsson.

P.S. Iginla is a pending UFA but if he takes a sniff of how this team operates, ala Kovy, I don't see why he'd sign elsewhere if we offer him a solid deal. We are legit cup contenders year after year, we tread our players like gold and the team is runned by one of the best Gm's to ever manage in this league.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote