View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 07:36 AM
EbencoyE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
No other CURRENT tournament can... I don't know why you think hockey needs to be so desperate for the olympics cuz in reality hockey and NBA outliers and are basically the only major professional club sports whose major international competition is done in the olympics. Soccer, Rugby, Cricket, Baseball & Tennis have their own competitions that are paramount to whatever olympic activity if any they engage in, so don't make it sound like ice hockey would be doing something radical here by telling the IOC and their greedy bureaucracy, incompetent officials, poor scheduling, limited hosting and airtight content rules to shove off.
I'm no expert on all of those sports, but baseball would trade the World Baseball Classic in favor of the Olympics in a heartbeat. Nobody gives a single **** about the WBC. I bet most people (even baseball fans) don't even realize it starts in a week and a half.

Soccer, Rugby and Cricket have successful international tournaments however, but they also aren't run by single leagues who give one country home ice (field) advantage every time it's held.

If there's no NHLers at the Olympics, and the only alternative is an NHL-run competition, I'd rather there not be ANY "best-on-best" hockey tournament at all.