View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 07:48 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Of course he does. But he still plays 20+ minutes of hockey a night and solidifies a very solid top 4 defense corp.

I dont think O'Reilly the player is being overrated, but I do think his contractual issues and the tantrum hes throwing about not getting the captaincy speaks to some character problems -- but most of all, I think that the issue of replacing MDZ is being glossed over in nearly every post in this thread.
Of course it will be difficult to replace MDZ's production right now. I don't see how anyone can dispute that. However, moving forward he will, at least for the foreseeable future, be the 3rd LD. His skating is still below average, his hockey IQ shows flashes of what we all thought he would be but it's not consistent.

All I was pointing out is that if the Rangers wanted to take a shot at a puck-mover, there are some available via trade AND UFA this off-season. There are options if they are that worried about it.

With how inconsistent he is, I don't think the team would miss him all that much on a game-to-game basis as far as his offensive contribution though.