02-20-2013, 08:21 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Conacher and Tarasenko have cooled down considerably. Schultz and Despres haven't done much either. Granlund is finally looking good but otherwise it's a great time for Galchenyuk to prove he's consistent.

The biggest difference between Conacher, Tarasenko and Galchenyuk is that Conacher and Tarasenko play against better competition, or they were. They also play bigger minutes. That said, if Galchenyuk continues being Mr. Reliable putting up points and staying with an extremely strong +/- (thank you Prust), if he wins the NHL rookie race he'll win the Calder. No question there.

I wouldn't count out Conacher or Tarasenko, nor would I count out Dougie Hamilton, Nail Yakupov or even Huberdeau and Granlund. I also wouldn't count out Brendan Gallagher of course. I like the rookie race this year. It's going to actually be between 10 players.
Also worth keeping in mind that before this season, Conacher and Tarasenko were playing against men. Galchenyuk was playing against teenagers. So maybe it won't necessarily win him the Calder, but it makes what he's doing all the more impressive IMO.