View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
To repeat, I think trading Richards now is shortsighted and counter productive. If you want him off the books, you buy him out, and it's all that much easier since there's no other buyout candidate on the roster (Nash, I guess, but that's crazy talk).

If trading Richards is the hypothetical discussion, the only teams that make any sense are the ones that have an exceptionally hard time luring/retaining FAs. Think Florida, Edmonton, Tampa, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, et al. Even then, I have a hard time finding a fit with any of them save Florida if they want to make an enormous Weiss/Campbell swap, and even then, I'm not sure that makes any sense for either team, though the Rangers certainly get the PP help that's needed/coveted.
I think a team like Nashville would look hard at Richards considering their trouble bringing in UFA talent.

Also, I don't agree with the "buy-him out now or he will come back to bite us" rhetoric. If the Rangers can turn Richards and his contract into positive assets you do it. If he retires, he retires. I doubt he does. His internal cap hit will be attractive to some smaller market teams without a doubt.