View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
I'm no expert on all of those sports, but baseball would trade the World Baseball Classic in favor of the Olympics in a heartbeat. Nobody gives a single **** about the WBC. I bet most people (even baseball fans) don't even realize it starts in a week and a half.

Soccer, Rugby and Cricket have successful international tournaments however, but they also aren't run by single leagues who give one country home ice (field) advantage every time it's held.

If there's no NHLers at the Olympics, and the only alternative is an NHL-run competition, I'd rather there not be ANY "best-on-best" hockey tournament at all.
First off, the WBC is gonna be a success next month, book it. It's been better each time since the first one, it's growing, it's great competition and a great festival of international baseball, nobody who tunes in is disappointed. The revenues go back to all the baseball and they don't have to deal with the vulgar and perfidious IOC (the corrupt ******** who snubbed baseball, and recently cut wrestling).

Second, EVERYBODY acknowledges the old WCH had problems, can you people please stop strawmanning it and referencing it as if a 2016 WCH will be the exact same as the 2004 event? It is seriously dishonest to do so.

The Euro leagues are a lot stronger than they were in 2004, it would not just be a "NHL show". Everybody can have a stake in it and the hosting can be spread around better especially if it's played in NHL pre-season (where the NHL is already sending NHL teams to open in Europe what's the difference in sending a international team??).