View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 10:36 AM
StrBender

vCash: 500
I'm thinking your Canadian? I have a family member (USA) playing his final season of Jr A in Canada. He wasn't drafted by any Maj Jr teams, but he did have offers. He chose to keep his NCAA options open. Here's why. When he was your age he had a lot of interest from all over. At that time, he was playing at the top level (AAA) and holding his own. In my area most of the top players attend private/prep schools with the hope of moving on to the National Program at 16 or going out to play in the USHL. At this stage, a lot of players stop developing and level off. Others come out of nowhere and become the new studs.

Personally, I feel that if a player that's 15, 16, even 17 isn't in the top 10% at his age group, and is from the USA, they should keep their NCAA options open. Now if they have no desire to attend college, or their going into the family business etc. after hockey, then I say go for it, and love every minute of it! Canadian Jr A has a lot of young players, who have been drafted by a Maj Jr Teams, but aren't ready or sure if they want to go that route. Sadly there's also a lot of players who gave up their NCAA options and went for it, only to see marginal ice time, got released, or aged out. So now their career will be over at the age of 21. They can still play at a Canadian University, but there's a time limit to when you have to start by.

You may be surprised at the number of NCAA players who went undrafted by the NHL, then after growing as a player in college (remember most start at 20/21 here) they have the option of signing a contract as a free agent with a team that gives them the best chance to succeed.

If I was you, I might want to try and make a Canadian Jr A team, hope to get drafted by a Maj Jr Team. Then if you continue to develop into a top goalie awesome. But you will still have options.

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote