View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
What's the point of a +2, or a +1 for that matter. What purpose do those extra 1 or 2 inches serve?
I'll give you an example. I wear 36"+2 Simmons Matrix 3 pads. I stand at 6' 3" at least, my legs make up most of that height. I need to wear 36" pads due to the knee pad placement on them. If it were just a regular 36" pad it would just reach the bottom of my pants and be difficult for me to close my five-hole. With the added +2 I ensure that no pucks sneak by my pad and pants and nail me in the thigh. With the added +2 I can also close my five-hole properly while taking advantage of my leg length. Even with the +2 my pads are not near my waist which seems to be what many are afraid of.

+1 just help shorter goalies close that five easier without exposing their thigh in the butterfly. When I wore Heaton's or McKenzie's I believe is what they were called, whenever I went down into my butterfly my thighs would be partially exposed. That's because they were not butterfly pads and now butterfly pads usually contain the +1 or +2 depending on the size of the goalie.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote