Old
02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
redbull
manage the *uck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Kings fan coming in peace.

I was just wondering how Hickey has been doing for you so far. Stats wise, it doesn't look great, but stats aren't the easiest thing to judge. I was very disappointed we lost him on waivers and given our injuries on defense this season, we really could have used him right now.

How has he looked for your team so far, and what do you think the future holds for him, both with the Islanders and as an NHLer?
He's pretty good. His offensive instincts show and he has high panic threshold which is good. He's got potential but he'll need to show a lot more to get more minutes.

He's fairly small and that will be a huge deterrent, but everyone knew his size when he was drafted, claimed and every moment in between. I think he has the smarts to develop into a steady NHL defenseman but he'll need to show SOME offense at some point, otherwise, the bigger dman will get those bottom six minutes more often than not (as we've seen from Finley and Carkner, on this, the worst defense group in the NHL - well, close, especially when Vis was on his european vacation)

I hope he sticks because I like the way he plays, the potential he shows. There aren't many Isles dmen that can make a smart first pass and who don't panic in their own zone. But he's still mistake-prone, mainly because of his confidence in jumping in the play - that's both a strength and a weakness. On a bad team though, he can look bad more often than not.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote