View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
I don't see how the 70's are relevant to the issue. Or 80's. Or 90's. Times have changed across the league, really. (Except possibly in Toronto). Clifford and Westgarth didn't play, Janssen and Boulton didn't play in last year's playoffs for their respective finalist teams. (Though Clifford is a reasonable player and was injured - but they showed they didn't NEED his toughness to win). You know that the enforcers aren't used when "the game matters" in the playoffs. So how are they anything but sideshow regular season entertainment? I like that entertainment too, and enjoyed the crazier days of yore, the brawls, the arms races and Kordic and Normand Baron, it was colourful. But it's just a different league now, I don't see the point in trying to project that nostalgia into a modern reality.

Bigger tougher players who can play are always welcome, of course. McCormick can even play a bit too. I would much rather have him than Kassian, for example. And now we have a little bit of IR wiggle room if we want to be careful with Gallagher's concussion. I'd be marginally for claiming McCormick. If the pro scouts think he's still ok. He has a relatively premium contract for next year too, though. So if whatever took the wind out of his sails last year (injury?) is going to hamper him permanently, and that's what's going on here, then of course that's different. He was much better a couple years ago, and was showing signs of being able to make that kind of regular-shift PK/disturber contribution sort of like Prust does, not just play a pure tough-guy role.