View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
And aren't you worried about trading for a guy like Boychuk in return for O'Reilly? Do we really need to be taking gambles on this trade like that?

Maybe he could be better in some ways than MDZ, but I feel like you guys are really painting him with an unfair brush, while using the absolute top end of other players and prospects as comparables. Barrie and Elliott for example. Barrie just scored his first NHL goal the other day, and his first NHL point a few games ago.

MDZ is 22 and Barrie is 21. They're a year apart in the draft. MDZ has a 37 and a 41 point season under his belt already. Why is it you are so confident, and can be so patient with a guy like Barrie, but MDZ is the final product already and since he isn't Kyle Cumiskey in the skating department, or EJ in his own zone, he isn't worth trading for? He broke a much deeper blueline, and one of the deepest in the league two years ago. Barrie is just now starting to fit in, and both he and Elliott obviously still have big concerns with their defensive game.

Apart from them being our prospects, where is the evidence that makes you believe they'll be at or above MDZ's final product when he fully develops? He was better defensively and offensively two years ago, than what Barrie is right now.

I'd like to remind people the wonders this team has done with players who had their skating criticized. I don't know if they have a special guy or girl they go to, but Stastny, O'Reilly, Landy, Stewart, even Shattenkirk I believe at one point had concerns over their skating ability.
Perhaps I can interject. Maybe the reason people are hesitant with MDZ is that he is supposed to be the roster player part of the deal not the prospect? Some would like a more polished roster player and a prospect. Just trying to understand where others are coming from.

With that said, I think you hit it on the head. Hes young and has had a couple of decent seasons under his belt.