View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Habaddict

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I don't know for the other posters on this thread, but for me, it is not an obsession, and Gionta is certainly not my whipping boys.

I do think Gionta has value for the Habs right now. I don't think he plays that well, but I do think he's still somehow important.

All I'm saying is that considering the goal of building for the futur while staying competitive, trading Gionta could make a lot of sense. He would bring something interesting in a trade while not hurting the present that much. Eller is capable of doing what he's doing right now. And don't forget that the CH is the team that has the most money engaged for next year; freeing Gionta's salary has to be considered in that regard. Added to the byout of Kaberle, it would free money to sign an important player that Habs' prospect pool cannot provide.

Habs are winning right now? Fine. But we shouldn't get fooled by their success. There are still many holes in that lineup to be a serious cup contender. And every experienced GMs said that it is better to trade when things are going well that the opposite. Moreover, better trade Gionta one year too early than one year too late.

And I don't buy that leadership stuff. If Habs leadership relies only on Gionta, they're in trouble anyway. Others can fill the hole.
Your points are of course reasonable. And if we were to trade Gionta to
a contender, for a really good prospect or maybe 2nd rounder, we would
free up valuable cap space. That would be a good hockey trade.

But there some real "haters" on this thread. And I rarely use that term.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote