View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Seriously, why does it bother you so much when the Kings ended up winning the cup? What do you think the roster would have looked like last year had Smyth never asked for a trade?
Would we have won the cup? Let's not forget the real reason we could afford Carter was because Gagne was on the LTIR, and as such we didn't have to worry about his cap hit. Gagne was only there because Smyth left, so it could be argued we wouldn't have won the cup with Smyth most definately, but it could also be argued we wouldn't have won without him either if Gagne had stayed healthy.

That's besides the point for me. The guy was an ass, and I'll ascribe my feelings towards him for what he did, not for what resulted from it. It's not like Smyth did that so we would win the cup. If anything, he likely knew the issue put DL in a difficult place and leave us with a lesser team, which on paper it did as Fraser does not equal Smyth, at least not at the time of the trade.

Basing my feelings for a guy for what resulted from how he screwed us makes no sense. If you had a daughter and her boyfriend left her on the side of the road 40 miles from home because she wouldn't give him a piece of tail, are you going to like the guy later because what he did led her to break up with him and find a much better guy? Or are you just going to acknowledge the fact the guy was a pompous ass who deserved to get his nuts roasted on a shishkabob?

Like I said, as a player, I think Ryan Smyth is awesome, and arguably the greatest example of what a player should be ideally (the real ideal would be a Mark Messier, but Smyth's a nice ideal as well). But overall, I think he's a very self-centred, me-first knob who has worried far more about the name on the back of the jersey than the crest on the front of it.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote