View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Habaddict

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Same here. It really pisses me off when people attribute his play to the benching because it sells Eller short. He looks a lot like the Eller of last year except that he his much stronger, which is an important improvement since Eller's game really is centred on puck possession and board work. We saw him play the same game last year, just he wasn't as strong.

It's not like Eller was crap for 10 games before he got benched. He played 1 ****ing game, the first game of the season and was bad like everyone else that night. This myth that Eller is working hard because of the benching attributes the success of Eller to outside factors instead of himself. Eller has always been a hard working player, especially on the boards.

The big difference is that he is now actually playing with a quality linemate. Every time he had played with linemates with some talent Eller has put up points. He did with Andrei, did it with Desharnais, did it with his brief stint with Cammalleri and Plekanec and he is doing it now with Galchenyuk. The potential is there, the coach has to put him in positions to extract that potential and Eller has proven that he belongs in those positions.
I think the " light a fire" model applies more to other sorts of players.
But getting Eller to think about what he can contribute might have been
useful. Even if, as you say, it got him back to what worked last year.

When many players play poorly, the coach still has to choose which
one to sit. I think Therrien made a good decision. I'm also okay with how
Eller is being used. When more injuries strike, or he thinks some veteran has
dragged *** too long, Eller will get a bigger role.

Nothing the coach does is ever the main factor in a players success.
It's always the player that has to actually go out and do it. I'm with
you on that.