View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
A bit surprised it happened this soon, and a tiny bit surprised the raise didn't end up a bit smaller, as I still had hoped for. But in the end, if that's what it took, I'm absolutely taking it over losing him to free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I'm surprised Anaheim isn't waiting to see how teams react to Fasth once they've been exposed to him and figure him out.
In my opinion, there isn't much of a thing as "figuring out" goalies at that level, unless they really have remarkable holes to their games. I don't see it being that way with Fasth, and I suppose the Ducks don't, either. His stats won't always be as sexy as they are now, obviously, and more pucks are going to get by him than they do now, but there isn't going to be a lot of "figuring him out" involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
So pretty much $3 million a season for 8 NHL games?
No, not really. You don't pay for stats. You pay for quality (or one's assessment of it). I understand that people aren't convinved if they haven't seen him a lot. Hell, even if they have, I respect when people go about it like Canucks' coach Vigneault (IIRC), who admits to not knowing enough about goaltending to talk much about it and leave it to his goalie coach. But NHL front offices don't necessarily need a big number of games to base an evaluation on. He's a 30-year old veteran they have been watching for more than a year before signing him. He's not riding a hot streak to his wins right now, either. His numbers are equivalent of a hot streak, but he hasn't been unbeatable, making tons of low-percentage shots. He has just been sound, and there's nothing in his play that would suggest his play isn't entirely sustainable. His numbers probably won't be, but that's a different matter.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote