View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Don't think about it in terms of this season. Think of it in the long-term.

Del Zotto will get paid his next contract. 5+ easily. For a guy who will always be behind McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi.

Tyson Barrie has just as much potential. Except he plays the right side, and is a better skater. Younger, and cheaper.

O'Reilly is comparable to Patrice Bergeron.

Colorado may not have a choice but to trade O'Reilly soon, and get value for him. Del Zotto and O'Reilly are fair value. But the Rangers would need a defenseman in return. That's where Barrie comes in. But to get him we have to up our package. Colorado would need a defensive center after losing O'Reilly. Boyle is young enough, and fits the role. We would have to add a bit more, 2nd tier prospect and pick. We have 3 3rds. Probably a 4th 3rd if we don't reach the Cup Finals, which is the condition of that pick from the Nash deal.

It's a deal that makes sense for both clubs.
It's all speculative that far out though. McD, Staal and Girardi might not all be here when DZs next contract comes up, and if DZ is going to make so much more money, he's probably going to be playing better than he is now.

The O'Reilly/Bergeron comparison is overblown I think. Bergeron has been tearing it up since 2005 and has put up impressive offensive performances year after year. ROR has yet to put up one top quality offensive season. We're talking about buying out Richards and replacing him with a guy who has under 40 goals over his entire career because he looked good last season scoring a career high 18 goals and 55 points. I don't see it. Bergeron has proven that he's a solid offensive player and ROR hasn't. I get that offense isn't everything, but if this team is going to trade a big piece like MDZ for a center, it should be a guy who can put up points. We have a two-way 50/60 point center already.