View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 03:21 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
As a random theory, maybe DW has been told to get costs under better control but that the org expects the team to continue to be a regular playoff contender in the future. Given that they are already looking at $6 mil drop in the cap next year, it could be the DW has decided that the time to sell is now (while the cap is still up and to allow teams to make other moves they may want before next year).

Moving Boyle and JT for good young players, picks, and prospects to re-energize the organization forward depth (a continuing area of weakness for years now) will not only make getting under the cap next year much easier, but it might even put the org in the position of being able to pick up a few "just a bit too high" contracts in the next year or two to add more depth at forward while still building for the future.

Given the shortened season, I could see ownership saying "we'll forgive you if you don't make the playoffs this year, as long as the team is well situated for new realities under next years cap".

I'm not saying any of that is likely, but I can also see it being plausible. Ownership has spent much more than they had historically in the past under DW and still not won a Cup. Maybe they think it's time to pull back a bit?
Really?

The execution can definitely be criticized, but the talent is there. The usual problem that happens is some young player can't hack it, and DW has to trade for the solution.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote