View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
As I said last draft, I think Novy is probably about as valuable as Bernie Federko, although the fact that he's more of a goalscorer than a playmaker makes him more difficult to build around. To be honest, I wonder about the fit between Novy and Kovalchuk, and Alfredsson was a somewhat better goalscorer than playmaker, as well, so the line may be something less than the sum of its parts.

But Novy was the best forward available, IMO, and should definitely go higher. Of all the offensive centers taken since Dunderdale (so, the end of the 8th round), the only one I would definitely take before him is Roenick. The "stickiness" of ATD draft positions is a strange thing.
Novy's goal scoring record is better than his playmaking record, but not by a lot.

Top-10 Scoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 9th)
Top-10 Assist (1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th, 9th, 9th)

The fact that he led the domestic league in points more than goals or assists shows a fairly balanced level of offense.

And Alfredsson is one of those rare wings who was a good playmaker himself:

Top 20 finishes
Goals: 9, 9, 9, 12
Assists: 8, 11, 13, 13, 13, 17
Points 4, 7, 9, 15, 17, 19

Alfredsson's top 20 finishes actually show him to be a rare winger who was a better playmaker than goal scorer. Although watching Alfredsson, we have the advantage to know he was really just a versatile offensive player who could play any role asked of him.

I think Novy should fit well with Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk is not a traditional triggerman - like Bobby Hull, he often skates the puck end to end, so a classic puck-possession playmaking center wouldn't work well with him. (It's why Fedorov is great with Hull but I don't think Forsberg would work so well). Novy played quite a few tournaments for the national team with Vladimir Martinec, a noted puck possession player, on his wing: here you can see them playing together on the same line when Novy scores the only goal of Czechslovakia's famous win over Canada in the 1976 Canada Cup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbbl6OTYQdM. So Novy should be able to be effective offensively without being the primary puck carrier of his line.

I think that maybe some of Novy's goal scoring will be wasted on a line that features Kovalchuk, but his playmaking resume is actually pretty damn solid and it's not like Kovalchuk and Alfredsson can't pass themselves. Kovalchuk is something of a puck hog through the neutral zone, but actually a pretty effective playmaker once he gets in the offensive zone. His assist numbers aren't outstanding, but they aren't awful, either.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 02-20-2013 at 03:42 PM.