View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What niche is that? Defensive forward who can chip in offensive and is still developing? What has changed from last year in that regard. If anything it took Therrien a while to realize where Eller's game is at and to put him back in the position Eller already had last year as a top 9 forward still working out his offensive game.

Eller has always played with intensity, even last year and the year before, not much has changed in his game other than he's winning more board battles than last season which has a lot to do with the fact that he bulked up greatly in the summer. His game has always been centred around puck possession and strong board play. This "intensity" in regards to Eller is a myth. He's always played the same way as a player, i.e, carrying the puck through the neutral zone, dumping it behind the goal line and retrieving it. He was one of the better players last year in doing it as well, I really don't see any changes in his game other than he hasn't played with quality linemmates.

I don't credit Therrien because if anything, it has taken Therrien 15 games to realize what he has in Eller only to put him back in the role Eller finished off last season (and finished off on a positive note showing potential for more). Let's not forget that Eller is only in that position because Gallagher is injured (which makes me doubt if Therrien had any intention on moving Eller up into the top 9 at any point) and that Therrien has been reluctant to push Eller up in the depth chart despite being one of the team's better players these 2-3 weeks.

I have little complain about Therrien this season so far (even though I wasn't fond of the hiring), but I don't credit him for anything in regards to Eller.
The last part of your post is weird imo.

Therrien directly challenged him (Pas le temps de niaiser) but he also made sure that Eller understood what was expected of him. On numerous occasions, Eller mentioned that the message was clear and he knew what to do (roughly: more intensity, a “hungrier” approach) to lock himself a spot. Contrary to his fan boys, Eller, during the whole process, stayed calm and answered the bell.

Eller also mentioned that Therrien is a tough but fair coach and the players know that if they put in practice the game plan, they will receive more ice-time. He said that it leads to a healthy internal pressure.

Therrien challenged him at the right time and he made sure Eller understood the situation; he did not keep him in the dark. I say Therrien played a role in Eller’s progression. It’s not a myth: he does look hungrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I agree with Andy - I think Therrien gets too much credit for how Eller is playing.

Eller trained hard this summer and was playing great in the European leagues before the season started. Many of us were expecting Eller to play like he is playing now.

He had an average first game and Therrien sat him.

There's nothing that indicates to me that Eller would be playing differently had MT kept him in the lineup.
If anything, I'm thinking he'd have had a stronger start to the year had he been kept with strong linemates.
I mostly agree with Andy as well. I just find it weird that he refuses to give any credit ("... I don't credit him for anything in regards to Eller.") to Therrien.

Therrien played a role. Should he get all the credit? Of course not.