View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think he's overpaid in the sense that I question whether or not he's a 25-30 goal scorer anymore and a 55-60 point producer. I think at this point in his career Gionta is a 15-20 goal scorer 35-45 point producer..which I don't think it worth 5 million. However, he does have excellent subtleties to his game which are soo important to the team's success. I don't mind the overpayment, it doesn't bother me that much, especially when I am happy with Gionta's game.

Gionta's game imo is hard to replace. I think he's extremely underrated as a defensive forward, even though people do praise that part of his game. His work on the backcheck and his work in his own zone are quite a sight to see. He plays such a key role with Plekanec in shutting down opposing players, it's impressive.

Trading Gionta to get rid of the overpayment is okay, but I still think you'll have a tough time finding the defensive side combined with his work ethic of his game in any other top 6 foward at a reasonable price (trade wise, not cap wise).

The Rangers broadcaster's even said yesterday that when they asked Therrien about the defensive game, he singled out Gionta and praised his importance to that aspect of the Habs' system.

I am more than comfortable with his game and the overpayment doesn't bother me, especially if we keep winning the way we have.
winning does cure everything...

but i hope management keeps their eyes focused on building long term success, without getting to caught up in the temporary high of a small sample of success.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote