Thread: Advice: staying hydrated
View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
newfr4u

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
During the day, I drink at least 2 l. of water. The problem is, when I drink a lot of water, it seems like I get dehydrated because I have to go to the bathroom every 20-30 mins, my lips and my mouth are getting dry and I get a mild headache.

I've tried to use more salt in my diet, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Besides that, I'm a really really sweaty guy, I can drink 1,5 l during hockey and I still feel cramped up and woozy because of dehydration after 30 mins.

Is there something I can do retain more water ? I also take a bit of creatine every morning.
dehydration is not your mouth feeling dry. as long as you are going to the bathroom, and not peeing orange, you are not dehydrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
if your taking creatine 2 litres isn't enough and all the water is retaining in your muscles and not in other places where it is needed.

creatine requires you to drink MORE water.

I drink a minimum of 1 gallon of water a day because i also take creatine.

hydration needs to be a process throughout the day not just right before the game.

i drink my gallon of water a day then i sip on gatorade before the game to get some carbs into my system.

i sip the next half of the gatorade bottle during the game.
where do you think water is needed if not in the muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
if your taking creatine monohydrate.. its only use is just to store it in your muslces so that you look "bigger" you piss it all away if you don't drink enough water.
that's really not what creatine does. you really wouldn't notice a difference in how your muscles "look".

Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
Nope, I'm from ze Netherlands, we dont have that over here..same goes for gatorade. We have simular stuff though, I'll give that a try.

I thought creatine was usefull to retain water in your muscles, wich you need to avoid getting cramps and for better stamina ? Should I quit that ?
if you don't get any problems from creatine, there's no need to stop taking it. it will provide a small but measureable effect, unless you are a non-responder. if you are a non-responder, you might want to switch to CEE from mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaSmurff View Post
When taking creatine, just imagine you can't drink too much water. just keep drinking.

My non-medical advice would be to take the creatine after hockey. Taking it before requires you to drink a lot of water with it, which can lead to cramping, not to mention having to piss a lot. Taking it after will still have its desired effect without some of the annoyances (imo).

If hydration continues to be a problem for you, I'd stop taking it and find another supplement that fits what you want.
it really doesn't matter when you take it. the effect of taking it "optimally" is much-much-much-much smaller than the effect of simply taking creatine, which is also somewhat small. take it first thing in the morning, or last thing at night, just so you take it consistently.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote