View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 04:22 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Gotta stop using points as a basis. The two situations and eras are completely different. Even the Rangers had several 20+ goal scorers after the lockout.

But if we are talking stats, no one is even suggesting O'Reilly will ever put up 70 points. But it's not necessary, either. He has 60 point upside, at least. Taking into account the defensive play, work ethic, and the rest that he brings, he's a #1-#2 center.

Hope this thread doesn't get derailed into a O'Reilly vs Bergeron discussion.

O'Reilly is exactly the kind of player that Jeff Gorton loves, and Tortorella loves. He would fit perfectly into what the team's identity was last year.
I don't want to make it O'Reilly vs. Bergeron, I just think that the comparison and the differences I see between them are exactly why I'm wary of getting O'Reilly. I think he's a similar player to Stepan and I think that this team needs more skill at center. O'Reilly fits the system perfectly, but you don't need and can't win with a lineup of all those types of guys. Stepan is that type of guy. Miller may end up being that type of guy. Boyle, while not nearly as tenacious on offense, is also a defensive center. Richards is playing questionable hockey. I think if we're going to move a big piece like MDZ for a center, which isn't a bad idea overall, it should be someone who is more skilled offensively. Maybe the front office guys have a lot of faith that ROR will be able to step up offensively. If so, I'm willing to trust them. I'm just worried that the team is going to lose a good asset and open up a hole on D for a guy that isn't very different from what we've already got and doesn't address a pressing need.