View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Halak Ness Monster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues
He's there because he's outplaying Russell and Redden.
Completely agree. My original point still stands, we need to get a legit partner for Pietrangelo. Cole's grade is independent of Redden and Russell. They shouldn't be brought up at all in this discussion. Their poor play doesn't change my feelings about wanting to add a good vet.

Get a vet to play with Petro at the deadline and put Cole with Polak. Let him gain experience on the 3rd pairing like a normal raw youngster.

Quote:
If someone else was playing well enough to eat into that ice time, they would be getting it. Hitchcock isn't a slave to his pairings. If he didn't trust Cole to be getting those defensive zone starts and that much ice time (relative to the other options he has), he would be spreading it out situationally to those he did trust to do the job.
It is hard to agree when Hitchcock threw Wade Redden, a shaky d-man who has been in the AHL the past two years, onto the top pairing with Pietrangelo to start the year.

IMO, he has no desire to break up Shattenkirk and Jackman. Jackman is playing the best of all of our defenders but we've tried Jax with Petro and for whatever reason it doesn't work. Shatty and Jax works and that is why they are still together IMO.

Quote:
Burrows made a good play in (a lot of) space during 4-on-4 hockey at the end of OT. That one play was hardly indicative of Cole's overall performance that game, which was fairly good against a pretty touch matchup.
The top pairing plays against tough matchups.

Quote:
Try making a list of guys who haven't made a bad play or taken a bad penalty this year. I'll bet it's really short, if you can make one at all. Based on his experience and assignments, you would be expecting Cole to make a lot of mistakes if he was truly playing poorly. He's not.
So I can't make a statement to describe his overall play and I can't point out individual plays.

How am I supposed to back up my point??? Stats? Ok...see his inconsistent ice time. If he is playing as well as you guys say then why is he playing 14:59 last night?

Quote:
Not really, but we don't always get what we want. On the list of things wrong with this team at the moment, Cole's play is pretty far down the list. Based on what fans are saying, you would think it would be near the top.
Agree to disagree. Armstrong talked in the offseason about wanting to find a top 4 d-man. I doubt Cole's 10 games has changed that sentiment. Especially when he is playing less than 15 minutes in some games.