Old
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
paul gausted gets you a late first.

I' would hope hainsey by himself gets you a late first.

I'd be fine with that, IF it was apparent he wouldn't be resigning here and we were where we are in the standings now at the trade deadline. If there's a 50 - 50 chance he resigns here, no way do i ship him. there is not much of an upgrade available via UFA this off season

Antro, who's criminally underrated IMO, is the more replaceable of the two. I'd expect more then a third for him but who knows. I'd have less issues shipping him out then hainsy, but even then it really does weaken our third line considerably, though Wright is showing himself capable in that position.

Essentially i know what value gets placed and what gets traded for late firsts, generally good third liners/rentals, i just mean that maintininig/ having the opportunity at resigning a veteren #4-5 D man for several years is worth more to me then a 20% chance dice roll on getting a top 6 player 3+ years away.
I find Hainsey and Antropov to be very similar. They're both bottom half players that can slide into your top half in a pinch. This adds exponentially to their value IMO as they're the best depth players you can have. Injuries have much less effect on a team when you have players like this, very important for contending teams.

Both also carry a wide amount of versatility. Antropov can play RW and C, while Hainsey can play both defensive spots. Again this should add quite a bit to their value.

This is also why I have a hard time considering trading either one. I don't think there's a similar player that's going to be left wide open during the free agent market (even though both are UFA's themselves, I expect somebody to lock them up). I do lean more towards keeping Antropov over Hainsey however. I think our forward core needs more help than the defensive core. If our defense could ever stay healthy we'd almost forget Hainsey existed. Plus Antropov seems to add more to the PP and PK than Hainsey, which they both play on (Yay! more value).

The Gaustad comparison is a tough one though. Nashville overpaid for Gaustad and I think everyone knows it. Just like Chicago having to sell off everything, they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Nashville wanted to make a big cup run and had key players (Weber, Suter, and Rinne) that would be making more money the next season and really felt like they needed that big shutdown center and Gaustad was pretty much the only one on the market. The price was a 1st and it was just on the cusp of being do able.

I do think that it's possible we can find teams during the deadline who could possible pay a low 1st each for Antropov or Hainsey. I do however hope we retain one of them and trade the other.

This is going to be a really interesting deadline. With the cap ceiling dropping next year there may be more Nashville-like teams looking to win the cup NOW and willing to overpay. There may however also be eliminated teams with rosters too cap heavy that need to sell-off and will therefore also flood the trade market. Going to be interesting that's for sure, I hope Chevy can capitalize in some way.