View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
And what does the org do if JT decides he doesn't want to re-sign (unlikely, but you have to factor it)? What if any of the current top-6 go down permanently due to injury (we've seen enough concussions lately to make this a reality).
I would call it a calculated risk. What if Couture gets into a car accident, what if Marleau quits to become a Jehovah's witness...a franchise cannot protect against all possibilities.

In regards to Thornton not signing here, I would assume that at that point, he'd be traded as a rental (obviously, Wilson would know he wasn't going to re-sign).

Quote:
Personally, I think DW is going to burn the organization down depth-wise before he is canned, and that ownership is more-or-less fine with this.
I think we perpetually disagree as to whether or not he is "burning down the depth". Results wise, he's had more-or-less ten years of SJ contending, which is your metric.

Generally, I think his strategy of gearing up for cup runs by trading assets that are unlikely to help us in the long-run is acceptable. Moreover, there is some evidence to suggest that as the core gets older, DW is modifying his strategy. The last major prospect/pick he traded or attempted to move was for Brent Burns and Niklas Hjalmarsson, both young and long-term assets.

Quote:
They probably assume that the fans will come back no matter what.
On a side note, this is probably not a terrible assumption to make. Bay Area fans are rich and loyal...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote