View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Back and forth from ESPN crew with some salient points:

Burnside:
Quote:
Since those back-to-back trips to the Eastern Conference finals in 2006 and 2007, the Sabres have missed the playoffs three times and been bounced twice in the first round. For me, the most disappointing moment was in 2011 when they had a banged-up Flyers team on the ropes in the first round and couldn’t close the deal, losing in Game 7.
Quote:
I have often lamented from afar that this remains a team without a strong leadership core. There’s no Daniel Briere, Chris Drury, Brian Campbell or Jay McKee, all of whom were central to those strong Sabres teams. Can a new coach coax more leadership out of guys like Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers, Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe?
Custance:
Quote:
Defensively, there are some issues, and it’s hard to identify if it’s because of personnel or coaching. Tyler Myers appears to have regressed, which is a major problem since he’s making $12 million (!) in actual salary this season. Jordan Leopold was a healthy scratch. There’s a lot of money invested in that defense and it hasn’t come with a real payoff. Is there a coach available to fix that?
Burnside:
Quote:
I guess if you’re Regier you hope a new coach can help turn what appear to be egregious mistakes into positive assets. I have to believe that, unless Regier can catch lightning in a bottle and see his team improve dramatically in the short term and make the playoffs, we’ll be talking about another key opening on the Sabres' staff the moment this season ends.
Custance:
Quote:
If I’m him, I’m not sure I’m letting Regier make a long-term coaching hire at this point. That's why I like the move to promote Rolston on an interim basis from Rochester.
Burnside:
Quote:
Maybe the Sabres have a surplus of defensemen because they don’t have many who play it all that well, or who haven’t played it all that well under Ruff. The team ranks 26th in goals allowed per game. Not sure what kind of return you’re going to get for players that Regier might be looking at moving, or maybe it’s just the act of moving someone.

But I still don’t see anything there to suggest that whoever’s behind the bench makes enough of a difference to get this team back to the postseason.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...nto-postseason

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote