View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 08:18 PM
BamBamCam*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Regarding Moose Moheen, a contemporary of Baker's, Baker was selected to the Hall over him. Maybe his 3 national titles at Princeton, maybe his estimated 3 goals and 3 assists per game in college, maybe leading his High School teams to wins over Universities.

Perhaps: Baker had a blend of talent, courage and passion that had not yet been seen on a campus. He was a fearless halfback who brought crowds to their feet whenever he came near the ball; he dominated every game when he switched to play hockey. A dazzling skater, his raw speed seemed to mesmerize fans. When the puck found his stick, a buzz wound through a crowd anticipating a charge up the ice. He was once credited with 30 shots on goal in a game against Yale. As a sophomore, he had 92 points and led Princeton to an unbeaten season. Describing one of his goals, the New York Times wrote, “He carried the puck to every part of the ice surface without being stopped.” But then the Times seemed particularly smitten by the Baker Phenomenon and it chronicled all his accomplishments with colorful prose. Times writers made it clear that they liked every layer of Baker, from the flashy way he moved on the ice to the noble manner with which he conducted himself when the game was over. In their eyes, the blonde bombshell was easily a prototype of the all-American boy.

Wherever Baker was scheduled to play, fans would line up to see him. To them, seeing Baker play hockey was like watching a magic show. They saw him perform acts of athleticism that simply could not be explained, like the time he seemed to run along the top of the boards to escape a defender. He controlled the puck as if it was attached to his stick by an invisible length of rope, as if he was running the-pea-and-the-shell game and the puck was the pea; now you see it, now you don’t.

A legit argument, I submit.
My friend, I dig your adherence to old school players. As I have said, I support and probably prop up older generation players more than I should. But...

What you just posted plays into exactly what I spoke of; fluff and popularity. He was a mega popular athlete in many sports which doesn't necessarily translate into actual being the best. He never played pro hockey, and he played hockey in New Jersey in the 1910s against other Ivy League teams.

I have read the 3 goals and 3 assists per game story. However, there is no evidence that is true as they did not keep any stats back then.

He played 3 years at Princeton, his senior year is the only point total we have and he had 12 points in 11 games. Does that average 6 points a game even if you stretch it out into 3 seasons? Then lets factor in his AAHL days which WAS amateur hockey and his totals that we know are 15 games and 26 points in 2 seasons.

Come on man...

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote