View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
I assume, maybe I shouldn't, that you consider Cyclone Taylor one of the early greats. Hobey and Moose Goheen were offered contracts similar to what Cyclone was getting. Is that part of the pomp and circumstance that has the "myth" of Hobey Baker propelling him to Hall of Fame status?

So, salaries offered were similar, both were inducted into the Hall of Fame in the first ever induction. Why is it so inconceivable, to some, that Hobey Baker was not legit? Because he chose something other than pro hockey?

The argument that he played 100 years ago aginst guys nobody ever heard of is ridiculous. If you knew your hockey history, you would have heard of some of these players. To think that some of you think that more people will give a darn about a Patty LaFontaine or JR in 100 years from now is just crazy.
Citing Cyclone Taylor makes the argument for me. I care that he was a phenom against other all-time greats who are rightfully celebrated 100 years later, not American students who are rightfully not celebrated 100 years later. At least in Goheen's case he was playing amateurs in the substandard American leagues.

So because they're in the Hall of Fame and you're saying they got offered similar money to Taylor's, without any citation - whose salaries are almost as famous as he is - I should consider Baker 1st or 2nd?

No one's saying Baker wasn't extraordinary talented or "legit". I'm saying you're grossly overrating him placing him as a top 5 American, unless you can help me get past all those reservations, which seem just as legit.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote