View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 08:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I agree ps241. The guy seems to be a special talent.

I also agree with the assessment by others that the greatest need for the team is a true #1 C. If you can't trade for one, or get one in FA, they you have to draft one, i see that logic.

That's sort of why i see going after ROR now is worth a great deal, and it may cost you a current core guy, but that may be okay. ROR could be a consistent 20+g/40+a/60++ pt C that plays PK and PP, bangs bodies and might be the future captain one day. To me, only Bogo, Kane, Trouba, Scheifele and 2013 1st rd pick would be untouchable, right now in a deal. If you could get a player like ROR now, for say, Little (or Burmi) and Postma, that completely opens up draft day options, no? Grab him - then does it matter who we draft?

Meaning, though most folks want BPA, they really seem to want BPA - who will be a #1C. Teams do that too, not just fans. But, having someone like ROR in the fold, wouldn't Drouin, Jones, Zadorov, or anyone look great? And then there are people who will say Burmi might just be as good as ROR one day. Give the kid a bit more time. Which might be true.

So, I guess what i'm trying to say is, pick BPA at the draft. Things can change so much from year to year, depending on who is available via trade or FA, that you take the best guy that fits your team (hard work, character, etc, etc.). And the more picks we can get (hopefully as high as we can) for UFAs, the better, imo.

If they pick very high, i'll always go for ungodly skill. That just doesn't seem to be available very often and is so hard to find. To find skill, determination, will to compete, and being on a crazy step development curve, well that's even rarer. Drouin works for me.
I like ROR a lot too, but it is worth noting that nobody has pulled the trigger yet. There has to be a reason. There may be issues related to him dictating his destination or perhaps Col is being a little ruthless in their asking price. Doing the deal now may not be an option.

I could also see the Avs proving a point here. They aren't a playoff team with or without him and they may find satisfaction in making him sit. It won't hurt his value. Bite the bullet, make him sit, trade him on draft day.