View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 10:12 PM
That

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
So who is the Wayne Simmonds of this draft? Is there one? Any guesses, That?

Because I want our own version, whoever he may be.

Keep in mind Simmons was actually passed over in his first year of draft eligibility as he wasn't even in the OHL that year. Then he was drafted with 49 points in 66 games in 2006-07.
I really do too. I love the way he plays and he'd be a perfect fit for this team. From the OHL, I really don't think there is any players who play exactly like him. There's a few players who have very similar qualities to Simmonds though. I can't think of any that can fight like Simmonds.

Justin Auger (RW) is probably the most unknown player, largely due to the fact that he was passed over last year. He's 6'7", has great hands (Video, make sure you mute it) and is a pretty smart player. His skating needs a lot of work, but it's come a long way. Not a fighter, and his physical game comes and goes. He's very streaky, but when he's on he can dominate the corners with his hands and strength, and then the production follows. Probably worth a mid to late round pick.

Zach Nastasiuk (RW/LW) is another. Not much of a comparison in play style, but is absolutely comparable in terms of the impact that he can have on a game. He's probably the best shot blocker in the OHL, he's a fantastic penalty killer, he finishes his checks, he's very strong on the puck, and he doesn't lose puck battles. He also has a good shot, and is smart player who goes to the front of the net. Only one fight to his name, beat up 6'5" Nick Betz. Worth a late second round pick in my opinion

One last player, Nick Baptiste (RW). He lists Simmonds as his favourite player, but they aren't really comparable styles. Baptiste relies mostly on his speed and puck skills. He was a high draft pick, but hasn't really proved why. Since Sudbury traded there two best players, he's really stepped up. He has major consistency issues, but has a very well rounded offensive skill set. He's production and physicality are linked, as he gets his points when he driving the net and creating space, doesn't do it very often though. Yet again, not a fighter. Worth a fourth or a fifth at this point, but if he keeps up his recent play, that could change.