View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Shanahanigans

vCash: 500
Trading one of the young forwards

I know the title isn't encouraging, but hear me out.

This is not an overreaction to the loss, this is simply a look towards the future. Our top 6 right now consists of Hall, RNH, Eberle, and Yak, Gagner Hemsky. I think it's clear that we have some gaping holes on the team (defense, bottom 6, toughness in the top 6, etc.)

Now, I think if we truly want to get better, we have to trade away one of the young guys. I know we all fall in love with them and what not, but try to look at this objectively. This is Hall's team, so he's not going anywhere. Nuge is our number one centre, so he stays.

That leaves Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov.

You don't trade Gagner unless you get a centre back, we're already dreadfully terrible down the middle.

I'm reluctant to trade Hemsky for two reasons. Firstly, Hemsky is severely underrated around the league, so the value he provides to this team is greater than anything we could get back for him. Any team would be lucky if their first round pick (other than a first overall) turned out as good as Hemsky.

Secondly, there seems to be this notion with management that you draft a bunch of young players, and somehow they ALL learn how to play the game at a pro level together, and win the cup. How are these guys supposed to learn good habits and bad habits? What it takes to succeed in the NHL? Hemsky is the only player in our top 6 over the age of 23, and I think people tend to forget that. He still has at least 6-8 good years left in him. I think we need to keep him around to balance our offense and be a productive veteran, something this team is sorely lacking.

That leaves Eberle and Yak. And as much as it pains me to say it, I think Yak will have to go to improve our team. I think he has potential higher than Hall and Eberle, but he probably would have the most value. If we want to fill the gaps in our team, some tough decisions have to be made.

If there is a trade for a #1 dman, or a physical top 6 forward, we'd have to jump over that. And I think when it's all said and done, we'll have to trade either Eberle or Yakupov to improve the team.

Hemsky and Gagner simply won't get us enough on the open market to improve the team, and the sooner people realize that, the better.