View Single Post
02-20-2013, 11:03 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
Here is mine

Peter Forsberg
Sidney Crosby
Jevgani Malkin

But the point is, a toplist has no legitemcy unless it has a good formula it's following. I mean why is Yzerman ahead of Jagr i may ask, and i suppose your answer would be "captain clutch", "defense", "intangibles", and other stuff you have to believe in that you can't really point out with statistic. But why then is not Messier also a top 10 player, or is intangibles etc only for certain players, because Yzerman is so out of place on that list that i completly lost it trying to follow your reasoning.

I think Jagr has a case against any player not in the top four btw.
I rank Yzerman higher because yes, Yzerman was a great defensive player. And unlike the late 90s and post-2000 commentary, it didn't happen suddenly and overnight in 1994. He was very good defensively in the early 90s, and he was very good in the 80s. So good in fact, that in 1988-89, when he scored 155 points, he also received a first-place vote and a second-place vote for the Selke, finishing 11th overall in Selke voting.

More than that, though. Yzerman in his offensive prime didn't just score. He double-shifted just like Jagr, Lemieux, Gretzky, etc. Except Yzerman double-shifted as the team's primary checking center. While being a 60-goal scorer (on-pace in 87-88, hit the mark in 88-89 and 89-90) he was double-shifting as the third-line shut-down guy. He matched prime Lemieux and Gretzky in even-strength offensive output in 88-89. What Yzerman did offensively during his prime, Jagr probably would have been capable of. But Yzerman did it with no help (he didn't have Ron Francis, or Martin Straka, or Alexei Kovalev, or a post-retirement-second-comeback Lemieux) and Yzerman did it while also taking on heavy defensive duties.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote