View Single Post
Old
02-20-2013, 11:48 PM
nik jr

vCash: 500
UAF selects C Steven Stamkos.

not a player i was thinking about until recently, but he has been one of the best F's in the world for 3 going on 4 seasons, has played only about 100 fewer games than crosby and malkin (though many fewer playoff games), and only a few seasons less than drillon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
After reading TDMM's bio on Lester Patrick from last year, he's not as big of a player's coach as I had thought. Given your team circumstances I think your choice is understandable, with the bolded as a good explanation.
i did not read TDMM's bio, but i obviously should have. stupid oversight by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
In the past, we wondered why his Hart record was so much better than his All-Star record. Well, I think that Dutton's 5th place finish in Hart voting in 1936 seems to be for his contributions as player-coach, and seems to have had nothing to do with how he performed as a player. If it did, why would the exact same writers who gave him Hart consideration not even throw him a single All-Star vote? His wikipedia page calls him a player-coach for 1935-36, and here's an article that says that Dutton would become the second playing-coach the NHL has ever seen since Lionel Conacher: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...d+dutton&hl=en. Once you understand why he got Hart votes for 1936, the rest of his record doesn't look that crazy. 1932 is a little strange, but not that crazy.

Edit: Dutton was 37 years old in 1935-36 and would retire as a player after the season was over and go into coaching full-time.

I see Dutton as a good defensive-minded #4, not a great one, like I used to.
i once saw a report about a player who played 0 games but got a vote for hart purely for leadership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Who's better, Dave Andreychuk or Tim Kerr?

Edit: Andreychuk was pretty good at faceoffs late in his career, at least.
i was thinking of the same question when i was thinking of picking kerr.

kerr was obviously better at his peak, but andreychuk's career was nearly 3 times longer, and andreychuk became a 2 way player later in his career.

Last edited by nik jr: 02-20-2013 at 11:55 PM.