View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 12:18 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's not Giroux elite in terms of offensive upside, but he plays a lot the way Mike Richards did in the offensive zone plus some size to boot. His work down low is physical and skilled. If he can move around in tight spaces and make those passes, offense will come.

If you don't think so, that's on you.

The only real question is playing time and opportunity.
He's getting more even strength ice time as Voracek, and about the same as Simmonds and B. Schenn. I understand that he's getting stupid hard defensive minutes and not getting great linemates, but at the same time he's had one of Read or Voracek on his wing 90% of the time, both of whom are having great offensive seasons so far. Couturier only has 3 points at even strength in 15 games. He's got a league average on-ice shooting percentage and not a horridly low personal shooting percentage. And it's not as though he isn't getting time on the PP.

I just don't see it, when I watch him play in the offensive zone. I would love to be proven wrong, I think Couturier's done a really great job as a young player playing in a defensive role for an offensively-oriented team and system. But I don't see lots of offensive upside. 60 points is absolutely a distinct possibility. But I don't see 80, like several people seem to think.

Brandon Sutter, for example, plays just as hard minutes as Couturier does, and has since he was Couturier's age while putting up decent 3rd line numbers. No one expects 70 points out of him, right?

Also, in regards to the OEL/Pietrangelo that you turned down, neither of those teams think twice before turning them down.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote