Thread: Value of: Couturier
View Single Post
02-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He's getting more even strength ice time as Voracek, and about the same as Simmonds and B. Schenn. I understand that he's getting stupid hard defensive minutes and not getting great linemates, but at the same time he's had one of Read or Voracek on his wing 90% of the time, both of whom are having great offensive seasons so far. Couturier only has 3 points at even strength in 15 games. He's got a league average on-ice shooting percentage and not a horridly low personal shooting percentage. And it's not as though he isn't getting time on the PP.

I just don't see it, when I watch him play in the offensive zone. I would love to be proven wrong, I think Couturier's done a really great job as a young player playing in a defensive role for an offensively-oriented team and system. But I don't see lots of offensive upside. 60 points is absolutely a distinct possibility. But I don't see 80, like several people seem to think.

Brandon Sutter, for example, plays just as hard minutes as Couturier does, and has since he was Couturier's age while putting up decent 3rd line numbers. No one expects 70 points out of him, right?

Also, in regards to the OEL/Pietrangelo that you turned down, neither of those teams think twice before turning them down.
Good analysis, but the bolded bothers me.

Brandon Sutter's best PPG in the WHL was 0.81, and that was in his post-draft year.

Couturier put up 1.66 in his draft year (played in the QMJHL).

Here's a pretty good quote from Bill Meltzer (Flyers writer) about Ryan O'Reilly (and I think it fits this topic well):

"My rule of thumb when it comes to pre-NHL production is that offensive dominance at lower levels is far from a guarantee of high-level NHL offensive production, but the LACK of true offensive dominance at the lower levels is usually a pretty good indication that the player will not become a year-in-and-year-old offensive force in the NHL."

Some people compare Couturier's upside to players who had vastly inferior pedigree's compared to his. That's my gripe.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote