Thread: Olympics: Groupings for Sochi announced
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Usually put in 12 to thirteen hours on extended road trips. Done the US twice then again the roads in Eastern Europe aren't nearly as well maintained. I'll probably end up flying as flights to Moscow from Sofia are relatively cheap. The crappy thing is its less than six hundred miles as the crow flies directly across the Black Sea. Varna and Sochi are literally on polar opposite ends of the Black Sea from one another.
I guarantee you, you don't want to make this drive.

I'm not sure if you have ever driven in Ukraine or Russia, but the only reason to do it is for the pure adventure of saying you did it and finding out if you and your car will make it back in one piece. I nearly didn't when I ran into some crooked cops south of Krasnodar. The road from Rostov to Sochi is nice enough, as long as you avoid the coppers, which is impossible as they have checkpoints all along the road. The roads across southern Ukraine are HORRIBLE. It will take you several days just to get across it. It's probably shorter to drive up to Kiev and then over as the road is much better. The advantage is that Ukrainian cops are much friendlier and easier to bribe.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote