Thread: OT: Jason Garrison
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 05:18 AM
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy

vCash: 500
Throwing around buyout ideas already after only a handful of games? Honestly, from what I have seen, Garrison has been fine defensively and that is the most important part for a defenseman no? Sure, he hasn't gotten it done on the PP but there are growing pains with a new team and a new system. He is playing with ~20 new teammates out there who all have their own tendencies without a full training camp due to the shortened season. Those who expected him to score 10-15 goals the instant he got here are the ones who were really burying their heads in the sand.

The stats show that he has been pretty reliable given the 21 minutes he plays per night (which are the 4th highest on the team after Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa):

Team Goals For: 17, 5th most after Hank, Dank, Edler and Bieksa.
Team Goals Against: 12, the lowest of our top 4. Hamhuis: 17, Bieksa: 14, Edler: 14
Plus/Minus: +6, 3rd best, tied with Bieksa after Hank and Dank.
Giveaways: 6, 4th worst BUT Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler and Kassian all lead with 10 giveaways each then Dank follows with 9 and Tanev with 7.

Relative to his teammates, Garrison has been fine if not better defensively. Comparing these stats with what he has said about his current comfort level with the system, there is a lot of potential for improvement. I personally think he can only get better as the season rolls along. My hunch about him being taken off the PP has probably more to do with giving him a lighter workload so he can focus on improving and understanding our 5on5 system.

Now about the new pairings, I'm a big Edler supporter but you have to think that the current shuffling of the pairings has more to do with getting Edler to his left-side rather than a demotion for Garrison. Edler being burned nightly on his right side does not look good on management who want him to be our #1 d-man (he's going to be paid like he is with that new contract).

leftwinglockdown is offline   Reply With Quote