Thread: Value of: Couturier
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 07:20 AM
PayItForward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's not Giroux elite in terms of offensive upside, but he plays a lot the way Mike Richards did in the offensive zone plus some size to boot. His work down low is physical and skilled. If he can move around in tight spaces and make those passes, offense will come.

If you don't think so, that's on you.

The only real question is playing time and opportunity.
Is he not getting the opportunity right now? More even strength TOI, more PP TOI, better line mates, etc. So what's his excuse for looking so poor offensively for the most part of this season? He has 4 ES points all year round -- including 1 garbage goal (the other being a deflection) and 2 secondary assists, what am I supposed to be impressed about there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
No, but it's easier to project a player having good offensive output if the put up big numbers in junior (which Couturier did).
And that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be a big point producer in the NHL. Sam Gagner and Derick Brassard as two players who put up big numbers at the junior level and aren't stars. They also had the draft pedigree and hype behind them as well.

Actually agree though. ~60 points is what I think he'll be putting up most years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
in all honesty i think cooter has already gotten better since last season ended. what wed be moving on is the potential value he has and in terms of that he hasnt shown the 1st sign of slowing in his development. given time i think hell be what everyone thought he was a year and a half ago :the consesus best player in his draft year, but we wont even be in a position to make that call (and thus get a real gauge of his value) until hes out of his elc.
At one point Adam Larsson was supposed to go 1st overall IIRC. Last year, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk (again, IIRC). That happens all the time, especially when the first overall pick isn't a Sidney Crosby or in his draft year, John Tavares. Why people continually use this I'll never know. Do people think any of the first 4 teams who drafted would trade their players for Couturier? Has anyone watched was Larsson and Huberdeau -- or even Hamilton for that matter -- are doing right now in the NHL?

Not to mention that a year and a half ago he was the 8th overall draft pick, not the consensus #1 overall pick.

Last edited by PayItForward: 02-21-2013 at 07:30 AM.
PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote