Old
02-21-2013, 09:08 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
I think this team needs a winger more than a defenseman.

With Quick/Bernier as a tandem and the style that the Kings play, the defense should work itself out. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem adding a veteran if Greene and Mitchell are both going to be out long term, but I think scoring is a much a bigger problem for this team.

Same problems as last year. Pepper the opponent with a lot of shots but just can't finish. Carter is the only real pure goal scorer this team has IMO. Kopi is more of a playmaker than a consistent 30-35 goal scorer even though he has the talent to do so.

Penner and/or Gagne were supposed to be the solution/answer to this issue especially on the wing, but Penner is and always has been a dog and Gagne is unfortunately a shell of his former self due to injuries and age. It's a shame because I think a healthy, younger Gagne would do major damage for this team.

I'd be on the hunt for a goal scoring winger, preferably with some speed. I've always wanted to see Hemsky in a Kings uniform, but even he is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, though I'd still probably take him.
I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Magnus Paajarvi either. With all that offensive talent Edmonton has, he may never get a chance to crack that top 6, but I've always liked his skillset and felt he would be a nice addition for LA.
Gagne has been shooting a lot more lately and his skating is still there-the problem is he avoids the dirty parts of the ice like the plague. If you could score with your back against the boards his numbers would be much better but it's tough to blame a guy for not cruising the slots with your head down based on his past. I thought Penner played his best game of the season last night. He protected the puck with his body, it didn't take him 3 seconds to begin skating again after the puck changed directions. Much like Gagne I think the tools are there, it's the mental part of the game that comes and goes.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote