View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 09:12 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
brian rafalski won best d-man at 2010 olympics.

i am not trying to trash drillon, and i think he was a good pick. i am just explaining that drillon's reputation clashes with his stats. b/c we have not seen the vast majority of players, it becomes too easy to miss or ignore their faults. it is so much easier to find positive information than negative.

you are right, though, that i don't know why he was benched in '42 finals. he was also not the only player benched.
I don't think I've tried to hide the flaws in Drillon's game, not the others. We pretty much all agree that Drillon is a tremendous goalscorer and offensive force. He was a speedy skater that had some tremendous playoff years. However, he was poor defensively, was benched in the 1942 Stanley Cup final and had off-ice issues. Also, although a big man, he was not a physical player. I'm still not convince he fully deserve his 'lazy' tag, but I still have a biography to make on him, so we'll see what I can find.

If a player had the offensive resume of Drillon, alongside great ethics & defensive abilities, he would comfortably be taken in the mid-100's or somewhere along the line.