Old
02-21-2013, 09:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
1 point isnt good enough at all... so basically Rangers drafted their own John Erskine
Michael Sauer had 2 points in his first 30 AHL games. He wasn't an offensive dynamo by any stretch, but that's okay as he was focusing on refining his defense. He had 15 points his rookie season with the Rangers, and you could tell he had enough poise and ability to become a 25-point guy on a regular basis. He was tasked first and foremost with becoming an adept defender, which is why the offense was slower to develop.

McIlrath is much the same. He's a defensive defenseman that's clearly focused on that side of the puck. We drafted him to crush people and lock down the opposition. That's what he's learning to do. The offense will come. He's already showing an increased willingness to join the rush and to pinch, and though he has nothing to show for it has occasionally exhibited a good, hard shot. To become a successful pro, he needed to improve his positioning and gap control. He has developed quite a bit in just a season's time in those areas. I promise you that no one in the organization is the least bit concerned by his point totals.

Look, I HATED the pick. Couldn't believe it. I got over that and started evaluating him for what he was. He's developing well. The kid is going to be a bigger, nastier Brooks Orpik. He'll be a player for us, for sure.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 02-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.