View Single Post
02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post far? This is NOT a projection draft. One quarter of a year is one quarter of a year. No more. No "so far..."

What will be a decent pick at this point in ATD 2015 we are not to in the least consider. Plan ahead your shortlist for rounds 12-13 then if you wish.
Sorry to interrupt this rant but I did say that potentially by the time the ATD playoffs come around he would have 4 top 5s in both goals and assists.

I'm not giving him credit for those now. Even with 3 of each he has the peak offensive resume of players taken well ahead of him.

Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
So Nik gets criticized for taking a 2 time maurice winner but it was fine to take Shea Weber a man who has 2 1st ASTs and really not much else...
Right. But Shea Weber being an upper level player for 4 years is much better than being an upper level player for 3.5 years.

Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Weber has a 6.5 year career and Best Defenseman Award at the Olympics in a gold-medal win against the world's best of his era, has two 1st team all-star selections versus' Stamkos' two 2nd team all-star selections and Weber plays a position with less depth and more picks already taken by far, D versus C.

And most of us thought the Weber pick sub-par I hope. So the Stamkos pick has even less lustre.
I'm not defending either pick because I tend to shy away from the current players with less than a half dozen good years but you have to admit there is a lot of credit given to older players for a couple of good years in comparison.

Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I guess I should point out that I am not a fan of the Stamkos pick but I think ppl is a bit inconsistent when judging modern players.

Also Weber was the best defenceman of the WC not the olympics (Rafalski was the best defenseman in 2010) so no, I still dont see the wonder that is Weber...
I'm not a big fan of him going so early either but I agree with your point that there is a lot of inconsistency.

Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
Also, even if we take Stamkos' current totals (without projection), is he all that different from a guy like Frank McGee, who only had a four year career and retired at 23?
Good question.