Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II
View Single Post
02-21-2013, 09:41 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Im not sure I understand the concept that he is being "buried" on the fourth line. Granlund's strength is his ability to slow the game down and see things that others can't. He needs to be developing this skill against NHL talent, otherwise we will be doing the same thing with him next year. On the fourth line the wild can manage his ice time and give him sheltered minutes that will allow him to develop without as much pressure. It also adds another dynamic to that 4th line.

As he gets better the kid will slowly take over the second line center (or winger) role. He just needs to develop habits (i.e. moving his feet at all times) that will help him get the time and space he needs.
I'm not sure if slowing down the game the way he's always done will ever work in the NHL. The vision hasn't gone anywhere, but he has to act faster and I think he already knows that. Offensive game is his strength, but against some teams you need toughness (I thought that's the reason we traded for Rupp in the first place), and Granlund as 4th line center isn't the answer.

I'd much rather see him work on his offense, figure out what works in NA and score than continuously watch him play nonexistent minutes with guys you can't expect to score. If Yeo doesn't trust him enough to give him decent TOI in the top lines, let him go to Houston and exercise his magic with other prospects. At first the 4th line was supposed to be a wake-up call for him- he responded by being better, then he was scratched and now a few games later the 4th line is apparently his spot. Sorry, but I just see very little sense in all this, especially if this is a long-term "solution".

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote