View Single Post
02-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Kjell Dahlin
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's just because you think Eller elevated his play due to Therrien's words.
I agree with Andy, I view it as a coincidence more than anything else.

How many NHL players this year looked pretty crappy after their first game?? None of them had a real training camp, no one played exhibition games. On top of it in Mtl, we had a new system. Just look at how long it took Washington to finally start playing better under their new system.

Like Andy said, Eller is playing the exact same way he's always played. The differences you see in his game are more due to his natural progression than Therrien lighting up a fire under his butt. If anything, Therrien held him back. Like we're holding PK back.

Eller should be getting top 6 minutes at this point in his progression. He shouldn't be averaging 18 seconds more of PP time than Prust, or 40sec more overall. That's a waste of his skills.

Therrien has done a much better job than I thought, but I fully disagree with Eller's handling. I fully expected Eller to play the way he is now based on the fact his defensive game improved a lot under Martin and he showed good offensive upside playing with AK last year. I'm not surprised by his current play.
I wanted him to play with Gionta and expected them to absolutely dominate their opponents as a 3rd line, and also get PP time.
Just for the record: (1) I don’t think it is strictly because of Therrien, (2) when I wrote that Eller looks hungrier, I was referring to his whole tenure in Montreal, not just the first game of the season and (3) good communication + knowing when and how to challenge your players = Therrien did a good job. Frankly, it is weird seeing both of you refusing to acknowledge the role (as small as it may have been) played by Therrien in Eller’s progression.

Eller is growing right before our eyes and, based on his whole tenure with us, he did need a slight push to reach “the next level”. I hope he keeps it up: he is one of the main reasons why our “bottom” lines are usually outplaying our opponent’s bottom lines.