View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
The problem with this is that Colorado is refusing to pay him as a #1/#2 Centre, and yet are trying to trade him like he was in fact a #1/#2 Centre.
This is a pretty legitimate point, as Huffer pointed out too. There is a lot of contradiction here by Colorado. So you won't pay him like he's a top center, but here you are demanding trade pieces as if he is one. Pick your stance, because both don't quite line up.

With that being said, and as Huffer perfectly described, the Avs very well may believe he is a top center, but are trying to keep these 2nd contracts in line and structured for the better of their organization, and I can't blame them either. But the reality is, is I bet 3/4 of the NHL's teams, or close to it, would pay O'Reilly 4.5 over 5 years even if he is coming off his ELC. Colorado may shoot themselves in the foot more often than not trying to do it this way.

Evander Kane did score 30 goals, and he hit 57 points last season. He has some flaws. Granted he played 74 games and not 81 like O'Reilly, but the overall numbers are close.

Ryan O'Reilly score 55 points, and finished 4th in Selke votes, that's pretty impressive. And he is a heart and soul player, much like Mike Richards, and that can go a long way.

Kane got locked up, but does indeed come with some risk. O'Reilly, perhaps a bit more risk in his overall production, but I gotta say, if I could sit here and say O'Reilly may not be worth 4.5 YET but he will be, which I have read, then I would just lock him up.

I don't understand why both parties don't do a deal that's 5 years, and escalate the contract like we did with Kane. Seems odd that they couldn't make those numbers work over the long-term of a 5 year deal.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 02-21-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote