View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 09:52 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
do we HAVE to exercise the buyout option july 2014 or can we wait?
This summer or next summer for COMPLIANCE buyouts. You can still use a normal buyout thereafter, but it has nasty cap consequences.

Something that confuses me about all this talk: people keep calling MDZ a PMD and an offensive defenseman. On the last page someone said something to the effect that he was our first true offensive defenseman since Brian Leetch.

I'm sorry, but I think this is a case of people seeing what they want to see, rather than what's there. Is he a defenseman who plays a good offensive game? Yes. Does he log the most obvious offensive minutes of any defenseman on the team (i.e. on the powerplay)? Yes.

But, when I watch him, I see a pretty good all-around defenseman who has significant strengths on both sides of the ice, but is not a world beater in either zone. With the notable exception of the stretch pass, he doesn't do anything that I don't think both Staal and McD can do as well or better.

So, while he is certainly a very good player - and has upside remaining at only 22 - I don't think in trading him we'd be giving away something unique. Again, other than that stretch pass, I personally believe either McD or Staal could step in and provide all the same skills on offense - while simultaneously playing significantly better defense. Indeed, they may both be slightly better than him on the rush.

If he WAS Karlsson or Doughty or - and I found the comparison laughable - Brian Leetch and had a unique skillset that added a dynamic on offense that we otherwise wouldn't have, I'd see the argument. But, as it is - I just don't see how our 3rd of 3 LH Dman who play similar games is unmovable for the right top 6 center (ROR or otherwise), just because he's slightly more offensively inclined than the other two...