View Single Post
02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting
vCash: 500
I can't wait to see where Drouin ends up. One of our former scouts who is now with Val D'Or told me about Drouin years ago. I was actually looking back at old reports the other day.

On Feb 15th last year we had him as an honourable mention to our top 30. By mid May we moved him up ( for our 2012 Black Book) to number #20 overall.

In August 3 of our scouts including myself watched him at the Ivan Hkinka try outs and we moved him into the top 10 for our pre-season rankings. The kid really impressed me. I was absolutely shocked to see him absent in other early season ranking lists ( especially by the sites who were actually there). As it was, it became clear to me just one month into the season that "top 10" was not good enough. We quickly moved him into the top 5.

I mentioned to Sam Cosentino before the first Subway game that he reminded us of a cross between Patrick Kane and Giroux. He liked that comparison and mentioned it during the game. I'm not a fan of player comparisons but Drouin is a player who get you thinking about others.

NHL guys I have spoke to love him, the ones who have him trailing MacKinnon ( like us) value C more than wing (we do as well) We had him as high as number two last month.

I can tell you that since 2004 I have never had a tougher time ranking the top 7 players. It's the same players on most lists but the separation between some of them is so small it's crazy. I spoke to a Director of Scouting of an NHL team a few weeks ago and his exact words to me were " I don't know where to rank these guys." We had a good long chat about this year vs last.

Director of Scouting at Covering NHL, OHL & QMJHL Draft's
Check out our latest NHL Draft Rankings & our NHL Draft Black Book
Follow me on Twitter @MarkEdwardsHP I scout NHL Draft prospects full time.