View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 11:19 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
About goaltender development, we have all the pieces we need. It is exactly like Edmonton a couple years ago. They were a sub-par team (let's face it, the Flames need work), and they gave Khabibulin the reigns, but also ran with Dubnyk and slowly developed him at the NHL level. There is something to be said about acclimatizing a player to the building, the city, and the big club's ways. Now, Dubnyk could arguably be the Oilers #1 (I believe they are still going with Habby/Dubbie split?) I think that Irving could be as good, if not better than Dubnyk and that if we gave Kipper less and Irving more, Irving will not be a bust and actually turn out into the goalie we saw him turning into when we drafted him in the first round.

Anyone agree/disagree? I would like feedback as I JUST thought of this.

I couldn't disagree more on your comment about us having all the pieces we need, re: goaltending. Outside of Kiprusoff, we have NOTHING. Maybe Ramo, I don't know. I'm curious to see what we have in him because right now IMO he's our only hope in a post-Kiprusoff scenario. I'm not sold on Irving. I don't think he will ever be a starting goaltender in this league. He's not good enough.

re: Dubnyk - If we're setting the bar at Dubnyk, we're in bigger trouble than I thought. Just because he's the Oilers' #1 goalie, doesn't mean he's good. I would hope we can do better than Dubnyk, who IMO isn't a #1 goaltender.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote